The LORD’S words are true and pure, like silver purified by fire, like silver melted seven times to make it perfectly pure. Psalm 12:6
I had to quit my career long before I was ready. I fought to stay working, but illness made it impossible. When our income suddenly dropped to half, it felt like we were tumbling off a cliff into sheer financial disaster. We still had a child to help through college. Monthly checks did not stretch very far. There were times when we lived on beans and rice and if money wouldn’t stretch past bills, then we didn’t buy groceries until the next payday.
Recalling this memory gives me a shiver. I did not appreciate that time period very much and I will confess I wondered where God was in the midst of our struggle. We kept going one day at a time; from paycheck to paycheck. My husband had his job and we were grateful. And I made several attempts to get disability to no avail. We assumed that it was not meant to be. This was our testing time about trust.
God must like the number 7; at least He uses it a lot. There are hundreds of times it is found in the Bible. I thought I’d go hunting and randomly pick out a few to share to prove that God must really like the number 7 🙂
- Wisdom has built her house; she has hewn out and set up her seven [perfect number of] pillars. Proverbs 9:1
- By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work. Genesis 2:2
- Then God blessed the seventh day and made it holy, because on it he rested from all the work of creating that he had done. Genesis 2:3
- On the fifteenth day of this month there is to be a festival; for seven days eat bread made without yeast. Numbers 28:17
- You are sent by the king and his seven advisers to inquire about Judah and Jerusalem with regard to the Law of your God, which is in your hand. Ezra 7:14
- And what was God’s answer to him? “I have reserved for myself seven thousand who have not bowed the knee to Baal.” Romans 11:4
- For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.” Hebrews 4:4
- From the throne came flashes of lightning, rumblings and peals of thunder. In front of the throne,seven lamps were blazing. Revelation 4:5
- And I saw the seven angels who stand before God, and seven trumpets were given to them. Revelation 8:2
Now back to my story. It must have been about 6 years later – after I had quit work and had also been turned down for disability (for the 3rd time) that I received a letter from the insurance company asking if I would be interested in taking part in a claim to have my case reexamined, along with a host of others, for the possibility of insurance fraud. No cost. Just forms, and lots of them I was to find out. But long story short, I was eventually awarded disability and it came ~ 7 years later.
The light bulb didn’t come on instantly. We were so caught off guard and thrilled to have extra money that we did not really think it through. In time, God put the puzzle pieces together in my mind and the number 7 popped up. This was no accident. This was God doing what He does best and timing it according to His plan. Perfectly executed. Always.